Stellarium compass not pointing to true north?

Posted by Casey Connor on 2019-10-10 at 01:44

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Connor
      Participant

Hi — the AR view in my iOS Stellarium app is pretty clearly calling “N” as the magnetic north, rather than true north. Is this expected? Any way to calibrate/correct for my local declination?

There was a recently a recalibration necessary for the compass, so I thought that might be related, but other compass apps are pointing to true north… it’s just Stellarium that is off.

Thanks for any ideas!

Casey Connor
      Participant

Hmmm, now it seems to be pointing 10 or 15 degrees west of actual north… so apparently it’s unrelated to true-vs-magnetic north issues.

I don’t know anything about how compass headings are read in an iPhone, but I note that two other compass apps (the Apple Compass and the compass in “Bubble Level”) are pointing towards an accurate north. It’s just Stellarium that seems to be significantly off… any thoughts? Thanks.

Casey Connor
      Participant

Mmmkay, by doing the “slow roll around” technique I’m able to straighten it out pretty well. Weird that it’s more finicky than the other compass apps, but maybe it has to do with the fact that it’s often used vertically.

Stellarium
        Keymaster

OK! Thanks for the info. Also keep in mind that the sensor code in the PLUS version has been improved a lot and should be more accurate.

Fabien

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.