Posted by Fabien Chéreau on 2019-04-05 at 10:29

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Please post questions and comments about Stellarium Mobile Plus here

zhihong he
      Participant

Can you give me a coupon for “stellarium mobile plus”? Let me download it for free in the Google App Store. I have provided Chinese translations for “Tasker”, “jetaudio” and “magicbox”. If you need a Chinese translation, I can also provide you with a quality Chinese translation.

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi,
        thanks for the offer, but we already have a Chinese translation for our apps.
        Fabien

Oliver Förster
      Participant

Bought Stellarium Mobile plus and it looks great on my iPad.
      However, I hope that there will follow many updates feature wise.
      I‘m missing an observing list, labels on the Moon for each crater, a „now“ button in the time settings, an opaque area instead of landscape and so on. 🙂

Keep up the good work!

All the best,
      Oliver

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Oliver,

thanks for buying our app and for the feedback! We are actively working on it. We are going to release this week a major beta (android at first) bringing a lot of improvements for the telescope control features (Wifi & TCP socket connection, LX200 and NexStar serial protocol support), which has kept us busy during the last weeks.

– the observing list is on our near term TODO list (linked with the ones from stellarium-web.org)
        – the now button already exists! It’s the small circlish button near the time setting in the bottom right corner
        – for the opaque area landscape, do you mean a very simple uniform-color landscape ?
        – the moon crater was not on our near term plans, but we take note of it.

Keep updated!

Fabien

Oliver Förster
      Participant

Hi Fabien,

thank you very much for your reply!

– the now button already exists! It’s the small circlish button near the time setting in the bottom right corner

Ah, now I see it, great! 🙂

– for the opaque area landscape, do you mean a very simple uniform-color landscape ?

Yes, it is called “Zero Horizon” in Stellarium 19.

A few thoughts:
      The mobile version is blazing fast on my iPad, however it seems that it still needs some love:
      While playing around with Stellarium I took a short visit to Jupiter and to my surprise it looked like this:
      Jupiter differences

The GRS is visible in Stellarium Mobile Pro, but it shouldn’t.
      Another feature I deeply missed is “What’s up tonight”.

So keep those updates coming 😀
      (And you should promote the new Pro version on Cloudy Nights)

Oliver

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Oliver,

thanks for the detailed report, we take note of the features requests:
        – the zero horizon is an easy one, so come back soon
        – for the GRS bug we should also be able to add a fix soon
        – the “What’s up tonight” is one of our priority observation feature (just after telescope control and telescope/eyepiece settings), but it’s more work to get done right, so you’ll have to wait a bit more :/

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Oliver,

the last release added zero horizon & fixed the Jupiter GRS problem!

You’ll need to wait a bit more for the what’s up tonight feature, but it’s coming 🙂

Fabien

Steven Barnes
      Participant

Website – App confusion.

In Google Play the app links to the developer Noctura Software which links to the website noctua-software.com
      There is a link on the app to this site but it’s all a bit confusing.
      Maybe noctua-software.com needs to refer people to this site for the Stellarium apps.

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Steven,

you are right, we are going to change that.

Fabien

Michael Ständer
      Participant

Hi,

I have both versions on my iPhone.
      In the “lite” version the sensor control feature does it’s job, but in the “plus” version is no reaction.

Michael

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Michael,

in Stellarium Plus, for the sensor control to activate you just need to point your phone up (higher than 20 deg altitude) as it’s activated by default.
        If it’s not working, try to calibrate your compass by rotating the phone in every directions and try again.

Fabien

Michael Ständer
        Participant

Thank you.

Andrew Harris
      Participant

Hi Fabien,
      I have Stellarium and Stellarium Plus on my smartphones but Stellarium Plus does not seem to have as much comprehensive information as Stellarium when selecting for example individual stars, there’s no Spectral class details, no Parallax, no Colour Index, no Hour angle and no Type i.e. double or variable star.
      I don’t know if perhaps I’m missing something?. If not already added will they after next update perhaps?.

Other than that I really love the new Stellarium Plus and definitely will be still be using the timeless Stellarium!.

Thanks for these great apps.

Andy.

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Andy,

yes we are not displaying everything yet, mostly because we try hard to avoid using too much screen space and GUI complexity.

Our current plan is to allow opening the panel more (dragging it up once more), to display more advanced data such the ones you described, and also better observation data.

Fabien

Steven Barnes
      Participant

Having problems with search.

Was trying to find Rho Ophiuchi. It wasn’t in the database; but when searching for Ophiuchus or Scorpius, which are there, I noticed that the search just fails after 3 letters. The search results empty out.

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Steven,

yes it’s a limitation of our current search engine. We’ll try to improve that in a following release.

Fabien

Steven Barnes
        Participant

The app did help me to find Rho Ophiuchi though. Thanks.
        Rho Ophiuchi

Karl Wrigley
      Participant

Have just downloaded and checking it out. Seems nice so far and as others have mentioned will eagerly await updates for features. Great work.
      -Observing list/notes capability
      -telrad
      -Limit dso plot by magnitude
      -asterisms

Please can we have telrad soon??

Thanks
      Karl

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Karl,

these features are on our roadmap. The DSO plot is almost there already if you adjust the DSO Hints slider in advanced settings, however more DSOs will be displayed if you zoom in.

Fabien

Zbigniew Szczęsny
      Participant

Hi,

I use Stellarium Mobile Plus on Android smartphone. I find the biggest disadvantage of this app is the use of some preloaded “landscapes” I really don’t care about rather than a phone’s live camera view. I would love to be able to use “augmented reality” feature with Stellarium!

Is it possible to support this feature in the future release?

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi,

the landscape is my childhood home village, you should care about it! 😉
        More seriously doing what you request usually won’t work very well (at night) because cameras are not sensitive enough to see the stars light. It would work for the moon though.
        I add it in our TODO list, but I can’t promise we’ll work on that soon, as we have many other high priority features still missing, such as better selected object information, support for observation recomendations & observation journal, or eyepiece/instrument simulator.

Fabien

Karl Wrigley
        Participant

I’ve never understood augmented reality with planetarium apps. It’s too dark for the camera! Don’t forget those telrad circles in future release….please 🙏

Thida Sayson
      Participant

Hi,

I bought both Stellarium and Stellarium Plus, but the screen doesn’t move even though I put my phone up in the sky.

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Thida,

make sure your phone has compass sensor, otherwise could you check that the sensor button is activated in the bottom buttons menu? If it works but not very well, you may also try to calibrate your sensors by rotating your phone in every directions for 30 s.

Fabien

Chris Librojo
      Participant

Hi Fabien,

Can the Stellarium Mobile Plus control my telescope EQ using OTG from Android through RS232 Com to USB adapter to my telescope?
      Thank!

Chris

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Chris,

We don’t currently handle OTG But it’s something we plan to do. It’s quite tricky as hardware support is usually not very good.

Thanks,

Fabien

Karl Wrigley
      Participant

Used this a few nights ago for a few hours at the scope. No motor drives or Goto just star hopping and finding DSO’s (manually). I have to say it was brilliant. Where previously I would have had to leave the scope for the laptop now I can pull out the mobile while still at the scope and get the job done. I was able to star hop using the app (and finder scope) in areas where the stars were too faint for naked eye. The quality and accuracy of the app (star map) allowed easy navigating to the DSO’s I wanted to find. I was able to find and view twice as many objects as ever before. Thank you!!

Brendon Smith
      Participant

Hi
      I am an amateur at this but seem to get a discrepancy between Saturn’s moon positions over different versions of stellarium ie one mobile phone running the basic mobile version and the PC based seem to agree with each other. my phone with mobile plus and the web based version are the same. Googling Saturn’s moon positions seem to agree with the first two and not the mobile plus version sorry cannot confirm which is physically correct as trying to use software to identify moon positions
      Please confirm if there is an issue or just my setup thanks

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Brendon,

We confirm the issue with the satellites of some planets. We are looking into this. Thanks for the good report!

Fabien

NightF0x -Eve
      Participant

I cant seem to get the soft key navbar to disappear. I’m left with a white navbar at the bottom of my phone and it ruins nightvision. Any advice? Phone is a galaxy s10.

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi NightFOx,

That’s annoying – I have never seen this before. What is your android version? I you have time a screenshot would be welcome.
        Also please contact me for refund, or upgrade to the PLUS version.

Fabien

Karl Wrigley
      Participant

Thank you for new Oculars feature!!
      What is the “Label” value meant to do?

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Karl,

thanks! Yes finally we released this update 🙂 it’s just for you to specify a custom label next to the footprint.

Fabien

Karl Wrigley
        Participant

If I set the shape to “Telrad” the label is “Telrad” no matter what value I have for Label. Can I have the Telrad circles but with no label?

Adrian Urban
      Participant

I allready purchase plus version its awesome! I appreciate how much time and hard work you put to make such a outstanding app. I’ve allready put my opinion on google play store but i have some new questions.

The time speed slider (i know backward speed bug is now fixed) is not as pecise as on normal version. I mean if i want to move time just a little bit it sudentrly often makes x700 or somethink similar. I solve this problem by first go to x700 ofrom 0 and then slowny go back to x3… and the event will be lost allready. There is a treshold in slider user have to break from zero position to start myltiply the time. Maybe it is not nessesady due to “play” button witch makes time back to normal. Maybe i go to much in details but yep there is sometimes a problem to set time to x3 or x6 from 0.

Second think. I’ve noticed that when you go further than 0,30 FOV the camera is suddenly follow this part of sky. I thing it was designed on purpose but it is not possible to see i.e. how the moon is slowly passing my view. It stay on center and there is no way to unfix this. Maybe some little switch in options fot this called “automatic fix camera position under 0.30 FOV” or something like that… ach i dont’ know.

On time contror slider the night part simetimes have something between black and day color. I’ve noticet that this is due to moon apearing on the sky. This feature is just awesome! Looking forward for progress in developing!

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Thanks Adrian!

I see what you mean for the speed control, it also depends on your screen width and density in fact. I will try to make the slider more precise for lower speed values.

For the other issue, we indeed switch to equatorial tracking when zoomed enough to avoid users getting crazy trying to follow still objects! Maybe a small contextual button could do it. I need to think about that..

Fabien

Martin
      Participant

Hi
      What’s the difference between Stellarium Mobile Plus, and Stellarium Mobile Free with in-app Plus subscription that recently appeared in the Play store?
      Thanks!
      Martin

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Martin,

once subscribed there are no differences in term of features. We just try a different model following users feedbacks, as many people prefer to try before buying 🙂

Fabien

Martin
        Participant

Thanks!

Flavius Andrei
      Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to connect Stellarium Plus running on iPad to my mount. On my Mac I can do that connecting it to and INDI server running on RaspberryPi. On the iPad/iPhone though, it can’t connect to the INDI server but not to the LX200 server either (I have implemented that protocol as well) though you state it supports the protocol.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Flavius,

INDI is not supported by the mobile version, but if you have a RaspberryPI connected to your mount, the best is simply to create a TCP port forwarding the content of the telescope serial port. For this you don’t need any specific program installed, just the basic tool socat.

For example, if your telescope serial port is mounted on ttyUSB0 on your RaspberryPI, you can try this command:

socat TCP-LISTEN:10000,fork,reuseaddr FILE:/dev/ttyUSB0,b9600,raw,echo=0

This will create a TCP server on port 10000 of the RaspberryPI, on which you can connect using Stellarium Mobile PLUS by using the Network link type, and using the IP of the RaspberryPI, port 10000

Let me know,

Fabien

David Archambeault
      Participant

Hello – I purchased SMP for a Galaxy S7, can I also install on a 2nd S7 Edge using the same account or does it need to be purchased again?

Thanks,
      Dave

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi Dave,

If you use the same account no need to pay twice!

Fabien

Flavius Andrei
      Participant

Hi, Fabien,

I’m using an iOptron iEQ45-Pro mount in INDI. Also, in INDI I have the SkySafari module installed which exposes the LX200 protocol. I’m trying to connect Stellarium to that and it doesn’t work (Unknown mount protocol or something like that). Any other app using the LX200 protocol connects just fine…
      I’ll try your proposed solution as well IF I have a tty to expose (the mount is connected to the RPi via wifi (StarFi) not a serial cable.

JH M
      Participant

I am enjoy this app. but there are some problems. Why the sensor mode cannot working in plus version? It is working in basic version. Please solve this problem. My device is smasung galaxy on7 prime. And please add various languages in it.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by JH M.
      • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by JH M.
        Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

Hi,

this is because the Samsung Galaxy on7 prime doesn’t have a compass, so it’s not possible for us to obtain the azimuth of the phone..
        In the basic version we allowed that, but the user had to manually adjust azimuth to obtain the proper image, and many were complaining..

We may re-activate such a mode at some point if many users request it..

Fabien

Steven Barnes
      Participant

Not sure what happened but the app is now so far off as to be unusable. Haven’t used it in a month or two due to clouds so I don’t know if it was an app update or the Android 10 update but the AR is now so far low and to the right that I had to just stop using it.

Any suggestions on how to remedy the issue on my phone?

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Steven,

sorry about that.. we recently re-coded the sensor code to improve sensitivity, and solve issues on many android phones. In our tests it was always better after the update, but it’s difficult to test on all hardware.. Could you please let me know what you phone model is? And also the version of Android ?

Just in case: if it looks too far in the bottom-right, did you verify that the time is set to real time when you use the AR mode ? This what happens when looking at Jupiter in the evening if the time is improperly set..

Thanks,

Fabien

Steven Barnes
      Participant

I’m using the original Google Pixel running Android 10 build 170711.020

Steven Barnes
      Participant

Just went outside and verified that the time was correct before testing and it is still off.
      Clarification: I said low and right but that references the actual object positions.
      The AR objects in the app are high and left.

Richard Hillier
      Participant

I have Stellarium Mobile Plus on an Android phone (Samsung A6) running with SynScan driving a Skywatcher Startravel 102 SynScan AZ GOTO Telescope (with WiFi adaptor). I want a larger screen, so installed the same on an iPAD, but I cannot get it to connect using Network or Stellarium Telescope Server… either works on the Android. Any ideas about configuration? I also have a Kindle Fire HD (V5x), while SynScan is loaded I cannot see a Stellarium version available (without rooting the device etc).

My aim is to get it integrated on the iPAD, so I do not have to use SynScan and Stellarium as separate applications.

Thanks, Richard

Richard Hillier
      Participant

Further to me earlier post, I have just noticed your BLOG on the subject… so the iPAD will not work as it cannot communicate with the SynScan TCP port? In which case, I will have to stick with my Android phone as an integrated setup – but the screen is tiny compared to the iPAD. I hope a work-around can be made. Or what about Stellarium for the Kindle Fire HD?

Regards, Richard

Ori 58
      Participant

Hello
      Android 8.1 cannot display Chinese

Steven Barnes
      Participant

When I have a search displayed the screen flickers horribly. It looks like the overlay being redrawn. Screenshot doesn’t show the problem as it doesn’t appear to capture the overlay.

Using the current version of Android on the original Pixel.

Steven Barnes
      Participant

The new arrow overlay seems be be trying to draw the sky at the location of the object I searched for on top of the actual AR sky.

Steven Barnes
        Participant

I just upgraded to a Pixel 3 and the screen redraws are much more stable. Apparently just a problem with the old phone.

Fabien Chéreau
        Keymaster

OK thanks for the info!

SoDak AstroNut
      Participant

I am thinking of purchasing Mobile Plus version for my iPad Pro. Does that version have capability for CCD/telescope field of view display like the current Windows version on my laptop I use for imaging? Thank you for your outstanding dedication and products.

Stellarium
        Keymaster

Hi, yes you can configure an CCD/telescope footprint overlay in the Plus version.

Fabien

Stellarium
        Keymaster

Hi, yes you can configure an CCD/telescope footprint overlay in the Plus version.

Fabien

SoDak AstroNut
      Participant

Bought and used last night. Worked great. I also have an Android phone, can my iPad license be used on it? Or do I have to buy another license?

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi,

you will need a new licence for iOS.. There are no easy way to work around that unfortunately. Maybe at some point we’ll manage our own user accounts data base, and we’ll then be able to do that. But don’t expect that to come anytime soon.

Fabien

SoDak AstroNut
      Participant

No worries. Does nit take anything away from your excellent app. Cheers and thanks for what you do.

Viewing 39 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.