Posted by  Fabien Chéreau on 2019-04-05 at 10:28

• Author
    Fabien Chéreau
    Keymaster

Post questions & comments about Stellarium Mobile (standard edition) here

Fabien Chéreau
    Keymaster

Hi & thanks for the offer,
    we just temporarily decreased Stellarium Mobile Plus price to 9.99 USD, so it’s probably the time to get it, as we don’t have promotions planned for the moment.
    Fabien

Deb Nusz
    Participant

How do I cancel my subscription? I do not use it enough to pay for it. Thanks for your help. Deb

Fabien Chéreau
    Keymaster

Hi, currently the app is paid with a 1-time payment. There is no subscription, so nothing to do for you 🙂

Fabien

Derrick J
    Participant

Hello I recently purchased the Stellarium app about two weeks ago. And for some reason unknown to me, the app no longer rotates to show my true position. Can you offer me a any advice on how I can correct this?

Thanks and take care,
    Derrick

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Derrick,

Just in case: did you try to press the sensor button to activate/de-activate it (it’s in the quick bar in the bottom of the screen)?
      Otherwise, one possible issue is with compass calibration: you may need to rotate your phone in every directions for about 30s.

We didn’t issue an update of Stellarium Mobile (the 3$ version) in the last 2 weeks, so if it stopped, it may be related to an OS update on your side?

Let me know,
      Fabien

Benoît
    Participant

Hello Fabien,

What about adding a scale to the display ? It would help matching the binocular or any other instrument view with the Stellarium map. Or it would make it easier to estimate the size of an asterism or any other feature in the sky.

Thanks,
    Benoît

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Salut Benoit,

this feature is only available in the Stellarium PLUS version, in the “Ocular” panel.

Fabien

Dmitriy Altyntsev
    Participant

Hi,
    light pollution seems not working. Nothing changes at all.

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi Dmitriy,

did you check that atmosphere is enabled? Light pollution without atmosphere has only a limited effect.

Fabien

Dmitriy Altyntsev
    Participant

Oh, I didn’t think about that. Thank you.

Shreevatsa R
    Participant

Hi, I was using another mobile app (Sky Map) and given frequent issues with sensor/compass and calibration, I thought of a potential cool feature (or maybe a major project): wonder if it may be possible to do use some AI/ML and the phone camera, to use what’s visible from the phone (if you’re pointing it at the sky and camera is enabled) to automatically “guess” the orientation. Then it could also overlay labels onto the camera image directly. This would make it much easier as a user to orient oneself. (Actually, it occurs to me as I type this that this kind of thing goes under the name of “AR” for “Augmented Reality”, and searching the web for [AR sky] there seem to be some apps already doing this… haven’t tried them but Stellarium is awesome on desktop and I only just discovered it has a mobile app, so thought I would suggest this.)

Fabien Chéreau
      Keymaster

Hi,
      most Augmented Reality Apps only rely on the phone’s sensors to find the orientation. It’s not easy to use the camera signal to determine the position. The main reason is that by night most phone camera sensors see almost nothing, excepted the moon, and if you are lucky a few very bright stars.
      With time, phone sensors tend to improve a lot, especially new low light sensors. So this may be feasible soon, at east for high end phones.

Fabien

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.